Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christmas crafty

I'm definitely not one of those crafty hausfraus. Well, maybe I am...no, I'm not. In any sense of the word. But what's a girl to do when she gets hold of not only "Southern Living Christmas" but the 12/10 issue of "Martha Stewart Living"? She's gotta get busy on sloppy approximations of embroidery-hoop card wreaths and spray-painted seashells, that's what!

This is all Dave's handiwork, and completely from scratch. True, I was the creative consultant--it would have been a very utilitarian gingerbread house without my suggestion to adorn it with gumdrops, candy canes, and to mark it with a "B," very much like our own home.

"Southern Living" had step-by-step instructions on how to make a magnolia wreath, while "Sunset" had instructions on making a bay laurel wreath. This is my version and what I'm using for our advent wreath. I, uh, wouldn't be inspired to purchase this in a store and probably would have done a better job back in 4th grade, but process over product is what I always say. When it comes to making wreaths. For you liturgical-year color sticklers (and I know you are legion among my readers), I just couldn't find either royal blue candles or the purple/pink ones. But the interwebs assures me that it's perfectly respectable among Protestants to just use red. Please don't tell the altar guild.

Here is Martha Stewart's embroidery hoop card wreath, and I think it turned out just fine.



This was inspired by S.L. and M.S.L., a la a tree festooned with seashells and adorable little seashell candle-holders spray-painted gold and silver. I got out the ol' glue gun and affixed red satin ribbon and hung them on the tree. Here they are before they got the ribbon treatment.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Dr. A said...

Super impressed!!!! When are you setting up the Etsy shop?

ALS said...

These are great. But unless you help me get the giraffe back from the Presbyterians, I just might let some liturgical sticklers, and the altar guild, know about your recklessness with candle colors.