Today I found this blog entry by Sister Helen Prejean. I love her. She and Mister Rogers are my absolute heroes. I am fairly confident that we on the religious right and left, and those on the NON-religious right and left, might agree with this. I think. I don't mean to be presumptuous.
I'm treading carefully because I have lots of loved ones whose political leanings are different than mine, and I do love them.
That said, I just gotta say this: I'm disappointed that Measure One did not pass in Arkansas. I went to bed last night thinking I need to do more to support gay and lesbian rights in honor of all of my friends, colleagues, fellow parishioners, and family members who are just trying to live their lives and raise their kids and love their partners. I don't plan on using this blog as a platform for discussing this issue (okay, beyond this post?) because I know it's inflammatory, and I know some people who read this don't agree with me. But in my opinion it's also a civil rights issue.
Okay, all done. I really try to keep my mouth shut on this blog about this kind of thing, but y'all know me, and 'tis the season.
I'm treading carefully because I have lots of loved ones whose political leanings are different than mine, and I do love them.
That said, I just gotta say this: I'm disappointed that Measure One did not pass in Arkansas. I went to bed last night thinking I need to do more to support gay and lesbian rights in honor of all of my friends, colleagues, fellow parishioners, and family members who are just trying to live their lives and raise their kids and love their partners. I don't plan on using this blog as a platform for discussing this issue (okay, beyond this post?) because I know it's inflammatory, and I know some people who read this don't agree with me. But in my opinion it's also a civil rights issue.
Okay, all done. I really try to keep my mouth shut on this blog about this kind of thing, but y'all know me, and 'tis the season.
2 comments:
We were really disappointed by this outcome too! I appreciated your link - put it in my bookmarks for the future. Thanks!
I am really proud of your post here. It was a night of mixed emotions at our house in Arkansas - big victory and big defeat. Thanks so much for saying what so many of us feel. The result of the Act 1 vote just means there's a lot of work to do!
Post a Comment