Sunday, November 1, 2009

Anneke's Friend

Back when the OLPC foundation came out with their first computers, I signed up for the get one/give one program, thinking it would be a great learning toy for my children. I finally got sick of Anneke trying to play with our computers when we were using them, so dug out the OLPC and set it up for her on her desk. Her favorite app is the recording app where she can see herself on the monitor. She calls the computer "Anneke."

Identifying the computer as herself may not be sad, but it was very sad when we realized she had started playing ball with her new friend.



As you can see, the computer is horrible at playing ball and never returns any of the balls so playfully thrown at it. OLPC should try to work this feature into their next revison.

5 comments:

Christie said...

Please let us know when they add ball throwing to the list of features as Henry would very much like to sign up for an Anneke computer friend that does that.

Dr. A said...

So cute! So big!

I thought about getting one of those for E since she loves being on the computer all.the.time. Does it seem to work well enough for Anneke's purposes? Translation, could Erin watch the videos of Anneke, Henry and Josie ad nauseum with minimal supervision/assistance?

sputicus said...

I will have to look and see if it can do that. So far I have only got it to show a live feed. If someone else were to get one, I would have to figure it out!

John Bowles said...

She will be writing apps for the iphone next.

Mary said...

Playing ball with her computer is the sweetest/saddest thing I have ever seen.