Saturday, October 11, 2008
TRAUMA: life at the MannBowles house
So today I put Anneke in the Ergo so we could walk around the corner to buy me some tights to go with my new boots. The sun was shining, and Dave was off on a mission to buy a raccoon trap. We ambled down the walk when BOOM! Flat on my face--with baby strapped to my front. It all happened so fast--I really don't remember it. The only think knew was that I had fallen on top of my baby! I got up and Anneke was wailing and bleeding on my shirt. Then I was wailing and running to B&A's house. I called Dave to tell him to get home pronto. Anneke was so upset. Brian, his brother and sister-in-law helped assess. It really was not clear how badly she was hurt! Long story short, Dave got home, and we lay our inconsolable baby on the changing table to get a better look. She had stopped bleeding; I nursed her for a while and called the on-call doctor. By the time I spoke to the doctor Anneke was her old self again, albeit with a scraped head and chin. Sigh. We gave her some Tylenol and took her to her buddy E's first birthday party. She was the belle of the ball (next to the birthday girl, of course). I have checked on her twice this evening, just to make sure she's okay. She is. I'm not, but I guess that's the price I pay for being a mom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Ugh... The first bleeding episode always sucks. i think peanut's was when she was playing with a cheese grater (we have funny toys at our house).
Anyway, I know the baby is okay, and I hope you recover soon. We all do clutsy things that hurt our babies. I dread the day that I drop baby P on the stairs or something.
Sounds scary, but I hate to tell you, it won't be the last time she hurts herself. I always pray for my girls to have hard heads just for this reason!
Did you injure yourself in the fall?
You handled yourself with much aplomb and motherly protectiveness. Anneke seems to have a perfect mixture of darling and toughness, resilience and good humor. Glad everything was OK.
I have a skinned knee! Not fun kneeling in church this morning :)
OMG I did the exact same thing when Sam was about the same age. Tripped while carrying him and fell right on top. I was completely more hysterical than he was. Glad you are both ok. My lesson was that babies are surprisingly more bendy and bouncy that we give them credit for in this modern era of helmets and other bubble-wrap-ish accessories. but the GUILT...oy.
Thank goodness for great neighbors ! I've ran to Alison's on several occasions in tears, with blood on my shirt. I'm so sorry! Poor poor Anneke!!
Must be something about the McMillers. First time blood spouted from H was at their house.
Post a Comment