Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Family shelter

Crikey. I am a social worker, and I still end up surprised when I read stuff like this--I'm still naive about family poverty and homelessness in my community. I guess it might be in part because I have always worked with families who, although they definitely were living below the poverty level, still had some kind of home or shelter, whether it was a Section 8 apartment or a relative's couch. I'm embarrassed to say it's hard for me to believe there are families living in their cars, but here you go.

Well, to quote 80s GI Joe: "Knowing is half the battle." See, all that after school TV made me a better person.

Emergency shelters

MULTNOMAH COUNTY

Warming Center for Families: 1435 N.E. 81st Ave., Portland, 503-253-0148
To donate: The center needs pillows, blankets, sheets and pillow cases. Drop them off at the center or at Human Solutions, 12350 S.E. Powell Blvd., or at these three Key Bank branches -- Gateway branch, 1205 N.E. 102nd Ave.; Lloyd Center branch, 825 N.E. Multnomah St., Suite 175; Gresham Mall branch, 390 W. Burnside St., Gresham. Drop off food (snacks that require no preparation such as fruit, nutrition bars and juice boxes), dishes, eating utensils, paper towels and cleaning supplies at the warming center or Human Solutions.
Volunteers: The center needs people to staff it. To help, go to
www.humansolutions.org

or call Becky Mullins at 503-256-2280.
For other shelters: Call 2-1-1

1 comment:

emily and adrian said...

The bassinet in that photo sent me over the edge just now...I mean...
I want to volunteer for a shelter here...but honestly, I wonder if I am stable enough...I won't be of service to them if I am crying every time I see someone without a coat. But we try to donate old coats every year.